Every year, millions of Americans seek emergency treatment for slip and fall accidents and injuries. Many of these accidents are sadly the result of a property owner or caretaker who did not maintain a safe environment. The result of this negligence is a variety of injuries that can have a lasting impact on the victims.


Slip and fall accidents occur in many environments – from restaurants and grocery stores to construction sites and parking garages. While the circumstances of the accidents vary greatly, there are some slip and fall injuries that occur more commonly than others.


Most Common Slip and Fall Injuries


  • Hip Fractures: Hip fractures are one of the most common injuries sustained by people over 55 who fall. People over 85 are 10-15 times more likely to break a hip if they fall.


  • Head Injuries: If you fall and strike your head, you may have a serious head injury. Even if you don’t have immediate symptoms, you could have a concussion, or something as serious as a traumatic brain injury (TBI).


  • Back and Spinal Cord Injuries: When you fall, your entire body is jolted. Your back and spinal cord may experience twists, jarring, sprains, fractures, or even breaks. Back and spinal cord injuries are difficult and can take months to heal. In severe cases, they can even be permanent.


  • Knee or Elbow Injuries: When you fall, you may try to catch yourself, which results in your knees or elbows taking the brunt of the fall. You may also twist or dislocate a knee or elbow if the force of the fall is severe enough.


  • Cuts or Lacerations: Depending on where you fall and if you strike anything other than a solid surface, you may experience cuts or lacerations. These can be serious if you fall on stairs or near objects or equipment.


  • Strains and Sprains: Strains and sprains are very common injuries in slip and fall accidents. Even a minor fall can cause you to strain or sprain the muscles in your back, neck, or extremities.


If you are battling one of these injuries due to a slip and fall accident, contact Sahar Malek Law. You may be entitled to compensation, and we can help you get it.